This article is for business owners looking to make massive shifts, 10x their revenues, scale their business and take the game up a notch in 2020. If you are not a business owner, this article probably won’t be all that helpful for you. If you are a half-committed business owner, my suggestions probably aren’t for you either.
In this article, I want to discuss some of the questions I asked myself at the start of 2018 that led me to start a handful of new businesses, move to Los Angeles, and scale my coaching revenues to $20K+ per month at that time. I attribute these questions–and others that I asked myself throughout the years–to my success, professionally and personally.
In business, just as in life, I believe you need to know where you have been and where you are headed in order to get anywhere. Otherwise, you’re chasing your own tail. Our goal today is to help you get the clarity you need to devise the most effective and efficient strategies for getting where YOU want to go.
It is through this process of reflection and projection that I was able to set, clarify, and stick with my goals throughout the scope of 2018. I hope you experience the same in 2020.
Now, before you start reading below, go grab a pen and paper or open a blank word document. Reading these questions without doing the work to answer them is a complete waste of time. If you aren’t ready now, bookmark this article for later and come back when you are.
Cheers to a super successful and fulfilling 2020.
And remember, don’t lower your goals in 2020 because you didn’t achieve them in 2020.
Leave the big goal, just change your strategy for achieving the goal.
Here are some key questions to reflect on:
2020 Audit – The Current State of Affairs
- How are your current financials looking? In the green? In the red? What needs to be done to scale from where you are? Do you have a set of business projections and a clear roadmap for achieving your 2020 goals?
- What leaks – time or money – are you committed to addressing in Q1 this year? Don’t worry – we all have them. Be honest in identifying your specific weaknesses so you don’t carry them into 2020. Do you even know what these weaknesses are? If you’re just starting out, probably not.
- Are you currently generating enough leads within your business? This will sink most early-stage coaching businesses faster than anything else. Without a proven process for lead generation, you’re going to have zero chance of scaling.
- What currently makes you feel anxious or overwhelmed in your business? What strategies have you tried in order to mitigate these feelings? What systems are you committed to implementing to change this in 2020?
- Do you feel aligned with your current offerings? If yes, great. If no, what do I need to do to shift towards offerings I will feel aligned with?
- Is your business meeting your lifestyle needs? If yes, what are you going to do to prevent ‘work creep’? If not, what do you plan to do to change that?
Future State – Looking Forward into the Future
- On a per month basis, how much money will you be generating in your business in 2020? List two numbers: (1) what you want to make and (2) double that original figure to make this your new goal. [Don’t just throw out random numbers; be intentional with the way you set these goals. Think through where you are and what you will need to do to get to where you would like to be P&L wise.]
- What are you investments for your business and personal development in 2020? In my experience, the fastest and smartest way to grow a business is to learn from the best. This always guarantees as ROI. Is 2020 the year you ask for help and hire a coach?
- What do you need to consolidate within your business? Is it a particular product offering? Updated systems and processes?
- What projects would you LOVE to take on in 2020? What would you have to delegate, automate, or delete to make that happen? What will the timeline be for making this happen? THINK BIG!
- What new territories do you want to explore – professionally and personally? Are there new initiatives you want to launch? New partnerships you want to invest in? New topics you want to learn about?
- How do you plan to celebrate the small wins? Too often we forget to celebrate the small things and yet gratitude is a fundamental part of your process.
- Fast forward a year from now, what results in your business would make you feel proud, fulfilled, and ready to celebrate?
- If you generated 2x or more profit in 2020 as you did in 2018, what could you do that you’ve felt otherwise constricted to do? How might this benefit your employees, your clients, your family, and you?
- What kind of impact do you want to have? An example might be–I want to serve 200+ coaches this year. [This will be connected to your revenue goals, of course.] I recommend that you double the impact # and set that as your new 2020 goal.
- How are you going to keep yourself accountable? Do you need to hire a coach? Do you need to bring in someone on payroll to help keep you accountable? What are you going to do to make sure 2020 doesn’t end without you seeing major progress in your business?
- What can you do to think bigger and push further? How can you be bolder? How can you, as Peter Thiel might say, reach your 10-year plan in the next six months?
2 years I could not imagine that I’d be living in Los Angeles with my own place, a puppy, some incredible new friends, and connections and on my way to hitting a business goals I didn’t even realize was possible.
In your business, and in your life, you are capable of so much more than you dream possible. It is the questions you ask yourself that will shape what 2020 is going to be for you – how much revenue you are going to drive, how much impact you are going to make?
If you believe, at a very deep level, that this is your year in business, then it will be. But if you skimmed this article, if you decided to skimp out halfway through the questions, I have one thing to remind you:
How you do anything is how you do everything.
If you want to start 2020 off prepared, organized, and clear on what you want to accomplish and how you are going to make it happen, start today. Don’t half-ass this process. Take it seriously. This is your f*cking life we are talking about here, friend! Get fired up! Get excited!
2020 is your QUANTUM LEAP year.
I can feel it.
P.s If you’re a coach, healer or online consultant ready to breakthrough to $10k months and beyond, watch my free masterclass here (p.s it will save you a lot of time and costly mistakes.)